Top Knee Arthritis Treatment In San Diego Pain Clinic
Arthritis is a known cause of knee pain. Arthritis is defined as an inflammation of one or more joints. The most common symptoms related to arthritis are pain, stiffness and swelling. There are various types of arthritis that can affect the knee joint; however, treatment may vary depending on the condition that causes these symptoms.
The most common is Osteoarthritis also known as wear and tear arthritis or degenerative joint disease. It is involves continuous wearing away of the cartilage in the joint. Once the cartilage is completely worn away, the bone become exposed, and the knee become very swollen and quite painful. This condition affects people as they age. The most common one being those who are overweight. Also, knee arthritis is said to be genetic meaning that it can be passed down the family tree.
Some other factors that may lead to knee arthritis include; torn cartilage, injuries to the knee as well as fractures to the bone around the joint.
What are the Symptoms of Knee Arthritis?
Symptoms of arthritis to progress gradually as the condition worsens but the conditions may become even worse due to minor injury or overuse. Some patients may experience prolonged episodes of mild systems, accompanied by sudden changes that may increase the severity of their symptoms. Generally, the pain develops gradually over time. Other common symptoms of knee arthritis are;
• Joints become stiff and swollen and the person experiences difficulty bending and straightening the knees.
• Vigorous activity may cause severe pain
• Severe pain may cause a feeling of weakness in the knee.
• Loose cartilage fragments and other tissues can interfere with the smooth motion of the joints.
• People with arthritis may experience increased joint pain with a rainy weather.
What are the Causes of Knee Arthritis?
There is no proven cause of knee arthritis specially Osteoarthritis. Though, studies have shown that aging and women are prone to being diagnosed with arthritis. The risk factors associated with knee arthritis include;
• Genetic where arthritis runs in the family
• Severe trauma which involves fractures and removal of the supporting cartilages of the knee.
What Tests show you have Knee Arthritis?
Knee arthritis can be diagnosed by a San Diego pain clinic by use of X-ray which can be taken with the patient standing up where it diagnoses the condition with great accuracy. The pain doctors San Diego will also need to take a thorough history when performing a physical examination.
What are the Treatment Options for Arthritis?
Treatment of arthritis should start with the basic steps at a San Diego pain clinic and proceed to the more severe and invasive state even to an extent of surgery. For those patients with mild arthritis, the arthritis can be managed with simple things like an ice rest-activity or joint injections.
When it comes to surgery cases, there are two kinds of joint replacement surgeries:
• Partial knee replacement
• Total knee replacement surgery can be done using a minimally invasive quadriceps sparing approach that helps to shorten the recovery and decrease the pain after surgery.
Other treatment that works well with knee arthritis include;
Weight Loss, physical therapy, walking aids, activity modification, anti-inflammatory medication as well as cortisone injections.
To learn more about treating knee arthritis, contact a pain doctors San Diego today.