Pain Clinics in San Diego Work With Fibromyalgia Patients To Manage Pain
Fibromyalgia is a physical and emotional condition. Each condition needs to be treated in order to treat the patient with fibromyalgia effectively. It is best to have doctors who know how to address both aspects of the disease so that care is coordinated as needed. The pain clinics in San Diego have pain management specialists who treat fibromyalgia patients on a regular basis. They are experienced in treated both emotional and physical symptoms so that their patients have the best outcome in treatment.
Goals of Treatment
Fibromyalgia patients say that pain is the number one problem that affects their livelihood. Therefore, pain is the ultimate goal of treatment. Pharmacological intervention plays an important role in pain control for these patients. The following are common medication groups used to help with fibromyalgia:
• Antidepressant medication
• Neurogenic medications
• Sleep aids
• Pain relievers
• Muscle relaxants
Sleep in one of the most important issues to address when treating a person with fibromyalgia. They are known to suffer from insomnia, interrupted sleep, and chronic sleep disturbances. When one cannot sleep normally, pain can be exacerbated.
It is important to help the patient be able to carry out daily activities with as little pain as possible. There are many interventions to improve a patient’s mobility and physical motion.
• Heat application therapy
• Physical therapy
• TENS unit
• Trigger point injections for pain
• Water therapy
• Exercise and stretch therapy
• IV Therapy Treatment
The following three medications that are FDA-approved for fibromyalgia:
• Cymbalta (duloxetine): This antidepressant is a serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). Studies have found that this medication helps with many types of symptoms with fibromyalgia, including pain. The increased levels of the neurotransmitters are suspected to reduce the feelings of pain.
• Lyrica (pregabalin): Lyrica is the drug of choice to help with nerve pain in fibromyalgia patients. It seems to calm the overly sensitive nerve cells that are responsible for sending pain signals. It has been shown to be very effective in reducing fibromyalgia pain.
• Savella (milnacipran):Savellaworks in a similar way as Cymbalta and is another SNRI that is used for fibromyalgia. It helps in relieving pain and reduces fatigue in patients.
Other antidepressants are used to relief fibromyalgia patients of pain.
• Tricyclic antidepressants.Tricyclic antidepressants increase the neurotransmitters in the brain (serotonin and norepinephrine) that can help by relaxing painful muscles and facilitate the production of the body’s own painkillers.
• Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs).SSRIs prevents serotonin from being taken up again in your brain, so this type of medication may help pain and fatigue.
Alternatively, the following medications can be prescribed to enhance pain relief:
• Local anesthetics.Local anesthetics are injected into the tender areas of the patients. Though these type of medication can provide much needed relief, it usually only lasts for about 3 months.
• Anticonvulsants. It is unclear how these type of medications work but they have been found to be effective in reducing pain and anxiety for many fibromyalgia patients.
• Muscle Relaxants.Muscle relaxants are good for muscle strain or spams that cause pain.
Let your pain clinic help you get on your feet again by treating your fibromyalgia.